Health & Wellness
HEALTH OFFICE INFORMATION
Health and wellness is important to the success of both students and staff, so maintaining a full-time Health Office is one component in that strategy. The Eagle Hill Health Office is staffed by a full time registered nurse.
Monday to Thursday 7:45 a.m.-4:15 p.m.
Friday 7:45 a.m.-1:15 p.m.
Health Office Phone/Fax: (203) 302-3863.
The nurse provides over-the-counter medications that have been indicated by parents on the Emergency Medical Form as suitable for use with their child, when they need it during the school day.
If any student requires regularly scheduled medication (prescription or over the counter) to be administered while at school, the family is required to submit a signed physician’s authorization form and to register with SchoolMed, which then packages and dispenses the medication to the school nurse.
Short-term medication such as antibiotics will require the signed physician’s authorization form, and the medication must be delivered to the nurse’s office by an adult.
The medication must be in its labeled container from the pharmacy. We are not allowed to accept any medications without physician authorization and in a pharmacy labeled container. Please do not send any medication to school with your child. It is against DCF regulations and school policy.
If a student requires emergency medication to be stored and on hand at school, such as an EpiPen, AviQ, inhaler, seizure or other medication, please provide a signed Action Plan from your physician and uploaded to your Magnus Health Account where indicated. The medication must be delivered to the Health Office in a gallon-sized clear plastic bag (Ziploc type) with a recent headshot of your child. These medications are stored on a pegboard for easy access and recognition of the student if needed.
CLICK HERE for Physician Authorization Form.
All student absences due to illness should be reported to the Health Office at (203) 302-3863. Health Office policy requires children to remain home for at least 24 hours after a child has experienced a fever, vomiting, or diarrhea (see details below). The nurse would like to have information about any contagious illness that a student may experience, as soon as possible after a diagnosis is made.
STUDENT ILLNESS POLICY GUIDELINES
Students are not allowed to remain in school when presenting signs of illness. A parent or guardian is to be called as soon as possible and is to assume responsibility for home care.
Signs of Illness:
- Temperature 100˚ or above 2.
- Drainage or crusting of eyes
- Any contagious disease or infection
- Cold symptoms with fever
- Inability to follow normal daily routine due to signs of illness
Students may return to school after illness when:
- Temperature has been normal (98.6˚) for at least 24 hours without Tylenol.
- Diarrhea has stopped for at least 24 hours.
- Vomiting has stopped and normal eating has returned for at least 24 hours.
- A rash has been diagnosed by physician and is not contagious.
- Eye drainage or crusting has been treated with antibiotic eye drops or ointment for at least 24 hours.
- Antibiotic treatment for strep throat has been in place for at least 24 hours.
Please report all children absent due to illness by calling: (203)302-3863.
Students new to Eagle Hill are required to submit a physical examination and immunization form dated the year of entry to our program. Connecticut state law requires all students to be completely immunized against all childhood diseases before the beginning of school each year.
All new students must submit their immunization history before school begins, while all returning students are required to have a physical every other year.
The emergency form must be filled out yearly for each student, and an emergency telephone number for each student must be provided to the school. Forms are to be returned before the opening of school. Please understand that the school’s policies are designed to protect your child’s health and safety as well as others students in our school. We cannot allow any child whose parents have not submitted these required forms to enter school. Please be sure to make an appointment with your child’s physician early and return the required forms.
- All forms are accessed through Magnus Health.
- Each parent will receive the necessary log-in information including user ID and password in an email prior to the start of each term.
- No paper forms will be accepted at Eagle Hill School.
- There are three options for submitting the necessary information – email, fax and postal service.
- If a parent opts to fax forms, Magnus Health will generate a fax cover page with a barcode specific to that student which will be accepted at Magnus Health Fax only.
All inquiries regarding submission of medical information should be directed to the Magnus Health Help Desk at (877) 461-6831.