How to Help Your Children Manage Screen Time
By David Blank, Psy.D., Director of Psychological Services
In a world where technology has an ever-expanding reach - and apps, games, and social media are designed to lure us in and keep us hooked - helping our children develop healthy screen habits may be as important as teaching them how to read or ride a bike. This is especially true for children with learning differences and attention issues, who often struggle with impulse control, distractibility, time management, and social interactions.
In several studies, excessive screen time has been linked to sleep issues, obesity, behavioral problems, and poor academic performance. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children limit their use of screen to a maximum of two hours a day.
At Eagle Hill, related services are not isolated entities; rather, they reflect our school’s goal of promoting an integrated approach to the development of the whole child.
Services are provided in several forms:
- For some students, services are provided in pull-outs, where a child meets with a specialist individually or in a small group session.
- Other services might be offered in a collaborative setting, where the specialist works in the classroom with teachers and students.
- Specialists also serve as consultants to teachers in a third form of service delivery.
All related service specialists ensure that their work with children is integrated with the rest of the child’s program by working in close consultation with teachers and advisors. They attend morning meetings about students and Friday afternoon In Service meetings, and communicate informally with teachers, advisors and parents.
- Read an overview of our Academic Programs
- Get to know our Foundations Program for our youngest students
- Learn more about the Lower School, typically for students age 6-11
- Explore our Upper School, typically for students age 11-15
- Find out more about related Eagle Hill services, such as speech and language and psychological services
- Learn more about our fine arts programs
- Read more about our library and technology department
- Meet some of our exceptional faculty
"My son has made more progress in the year and a half he has been at Eagle Hill than I thought would ever be possible. What has been most helpful is that they meet my child exactly where he is and have him stay there until he masters a skill 100%, even if that means they do not move on for a number of weeks. Nothing has been problematic. Eagle Hill has been perfect for my son."
- Current Eagle Hill parent